Santa maria dating
The present church houses a painting of the Last Supper by 17th century painter (and Santa Cruz resident) Bartolomé Esteban Murillo; Murillo was entombed in the demolished parish church where the plaza now stands.
The Barrio de Santa Cruz is a labyrinth of narrow streets and alleys dating back to the old judería.
Clad in white, red and green marble like the cathedral adjacent to it, the majestic square bell tower, considered to be the most beautiful campanile in Italy and probably designed more for decorative than for functional purposes, was begun by Giotto in 1334.
A major archaeological dig beneath the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore from 1965 to 1973 brought to light the remains of the old basilica of Santa Reparata, the most tangible evidence of early Christianity in Florence after the disappointing results from a dig in Santa Felicita and the difficulty in finding documentary references to the city's first cathedral of San Lorenzo.
Its collections consist of statues and paintings produced for the baptistry, the bell tower and the cathedral of Florence that have been removed from their original position and taken out of daily liturgical use either for purposes of conservation or in the course of alterations and modernisation programmes.
Santa Cruz, is the primary tourist neighborhood of Seville, Spain, and the former Jewish quarter of the medieval city.
These narrow streets provide protection from the oppressive sun of the Sevillian summer.
Scattered through the neighborhood are several plazas or squares.
The Plaza de Santa Cruz, on the site of an old parish church and an older synagogue, has at its center an elaborate 17th century wrought iron cross, the Cruz de la Cerrajería ("Locksmith's Cross").
Consisting of two interconnected ogival shells, the cathedral's octagonal dome was erected between 14 to a design which Filippo Brunelleschi entered in a competition in 1418 but which was only accepted, after much controversy, in 1420.
A masterpiece capable of withstanding lightning, earthquakes and the passage of time, it continues to enchant all those who observe it from afar.
The present-day Plaza de Santa Cruz was once the site of the Iglesia de Santa Cruz (Church of the Holy Cross), a parish church that gave its name to the neighborhood.
The church in Mudéjar style was constructed over the ruins of a synagogue, incorporating the floor of that older building.The monuments of the Complex of Santa Maria del Fiore, symbol of Florence in the world, constitutes one single big open-air museum located in the main square of Florence, Piazza del Duomo, religious, historical and artistic center of the city.